RAIPUR - CHHATTISGARH
Raipur is the capital city of Chhattisgarh. Prior to the formation of this state, it was located in Madhya Pradesh. Geographically,it’s an important city in the country considering that the land to the north of the city merges with the Chhota Plateau region and the River Mahanadi flows to its south-east.The city is, however, gradually molding into a modern city. The infrastructure is well maintained and the transport connectivity is excellent. The real estate sector is positively gaining momentum while infrastructure development activities are taking the front seat.
Stats and Facts
- The population of Raipur Municipal Corporation, as per the Population Census of 2011, is 785,829 while the urban populace is 10,10,087
- The average sex ratio in Raipur is 946 per 1000 males. On the other hand, the child sex ratio is 929 per 1000 boys.
- The average literacy rate in Raipur is 86.90%.
Agricultural Processing and Industry
- Chhattisgarh is called the Rice Bowl of India for the variety of rice cultivated in the region. There are over 800 rice milling plants in this state.
- A large variety of agricultural and forest products are also transported to other states in India from Chhattisgarh.
- Now, with change in time, Chhattisgarh has become a strong industrial hub, with industrial presence in steel, power, coal, aluminum and plywood sectors
- Raipur is India's largest iron and steel market.
- Raipur is well connected by all common modes of transport.
- The city's airport, Swami Vivekananda Airport, is located just 15 km away from the city center. This airport is connected to most other major Indian airports and operates 38 flights daily. It's the second busiest airport in central India after Nagpur.
- Raipur is connected to many major cities, including Mumbai, Chennai, New Delhi, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Bhopal, Jaipur, and Ahmedabad, through the Indian railway network. It lies directly on the Howrah-Nagpur-Mumbai line. There are as many as 7 suburban railway stations in Raipur
- There are as many as 5 national highways, namely NH 6, NH 43, NH 200, NH 217 and NH 12A connecting Raipur to various other cities. The Asian Highway, AH 46 also passes through Raipur.
- Raipur City Bus Limited (RCBL) provides a bus service for intra-city travel. Tuk tuk and auto-rickshaws are also popular modes of transport for traveling within the city.
Raipur Civic Administration
- Raipur is the administrative headquarters of the Raipur district in the state of Chhattisgarh
- Raipur Nagar Nigam is the local body for governance which provides the city's residents basic infrastructure facilities like roads, flyovers, schools, health centers and museums.
- Raipur is one of the two Lok Sabha constituencies of Chhattisgarh.
- Although Raipur is still a traditional city, it's now rapidly transforming into a more modern city.
- It boasts of an excellent educational infrastructure, which is one of the most crucial areas for any city. In fact, the city is an educational hub of the region.
- The network of roadways and railways in the city is also impressive